Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 62

Growth in the patch is hurtling along now, so massive thanks to the trout.

We've had 3 small rock melons growing for sometime now and today I noticed a fourth.  They have slowed right down in their growth though which is a little disappointing.  A combination of the less nutrient and the end of their season I think is the main causes but tonight one was missing.   At first I thought one of our dogs had taken it but I soon found it bobbing in the tank.

The suicidal rock melon.  It's only about the size of a softball, maybe slightly bigger.


First it jumped from the vine trying to end its short life only to end up in the tank to try and drown itself but I was there just in the nick of time to take care of the situation.



I quickly sliced it in half to release the most amazing aroma.  Ripened on the vine to the point it falls, shows just how these should be eaten.  I can still smell it.  The flavour was intensely sweet and the texture was firm but melted in your mouth.  This is probably the highlight of the aquaponics for me so far and will become a seasonal favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment